Hi I’m Dr. Adrienne Mulligan of Camp Verde
Veterinary Clinic in Arizona and I’m here today to talk to you about inducing vomiting
in your dog when they consume somethings that they shouldn’t like a toxin or sometimes a
foreign body I’m here on behalf of expertvillage.com. Sometimes when a dog gets to exploring around
they find little things to eat or drink and there are somethings that are important to
try to get them to throw up. Like for instance if your dog drinks antifreeze and you see
that happen the first thing that you want to do is try to get him to throw that up or
if they eat a lot of ibuprofen, ibuprofen is very toxin and so you want to make them
throw that up. One way there are two ways to make a dog throw up. One way is using your
basic hydrogen peroxide from the shelf and the other is salt basic salt and you could
try one and then the other. So peroxide usually takes a teaspoon or a teaspoon in a half and
you could just take the bottle and actually open our mouth and pour it. Try not to drown
them obviously put pour it dribble it in and let them swallow it and then give them a few
minutes and see if they are going to throw up. If not repeat it and the other thing that
you could do is if that doesn’t work then the next thing you could try is open there
mouth and put about a little packet of salt. The kind of packet that you would get in traveling.
Empty about that much or maybe about a half of teaspoon of salt on the back of there tongue
as far back as you could get and then give them that and that would often do it as well.
The times you don’t want to induce vomiting are going to be times when they have consume
something like gasoline, petroleum products, household cleaning fluids, alkaline, toxic
products for cleaning or for fertilizing and also things that might be very sharp. If they
have gone down once we don’t really want it to come back the other way and potentially
injure them like razor blades. So anything that otherwise that is toxic like people medications.
Those things you could usually make them throw up or even a small foreign body like a rock
you could make them throw that up sometimes. You want to be careful and get in touch with
your veterinarian and ask them questions and also get your dog to the vet as soon as you
can after you have made them and vomit the thing that they have just ingested.